Art has no boundaries and exists in many forms. Art can be three dimensional objects, a song or a doodle on a meeting agenda. Actions can be art forms as well. I have many friends who would consider themselves masters at the art of bargain shopping. But there is one action they have not mastered, and that is the “art of snacking.” The art of snacking can be a benefit to your health, if snack foods are healthy choices. You can actually snack in a way that boosts your metabolism, and not the pounds.
Snacking Leads to Boosting Your Metabolism
Metabolism is the process in which your body turns the food and beverages you consume into energy. There are different factors, such as age and gender that affect metabolism, another is food. Certain foods can facilitate an increase in metabolism and burn some of that unwanted calories and body fat. Preparing your snacks should include some of these metabolism boosting foods and beverages, which include: egg whites, lean meats, water, grapefruit, chili peppers, green tea, milk (low- or non-fat), whole grains, and lentils.
- Egg whites contain branched-chain amino acids that will speed up your metabolism and burn fat.
- Lean meats and lentils are both rich in iron. A diet low in iron can actually slow metabolism down by not efficiently burning calories.
- Chili peppers and green tea contain chemical compounds, capsaicin in chilies and EGCG in green tea that also gives your metabolism a boost.
- Consuming milk and other dairy products have been shown to metabolize fat more efficiently.
- Whole grains are an excellent source of fiber. It not only aids with keeping cholesterol and blood sugars low, it helps metabolism by taking longer for whole grains to break down during digestion.
- Grapefruit has been shown to help with weight loss due to its effects on insulin, a fat-storage hormone, making it a great weight loss snack.
- Lastly, I cannot stress enough the importance of water. Living in Southern California, we are just starting to feel the heat, compared to Mt. Rushmore in South Dakota, where it is actually snowing. But keeping hydrated is very important, even mild dehydration can slow down metabolism.
When you are feeling hungry and in need of a snack, take a few of these ingredients and think of them as beautiful colors of paint. Your pot, pan or mixing bowl is your blank canvas, and what ends up on your plate is your very own masterpiece of art. But if you are like me and have a hard time coloring inside the lines, click on the links below for recipes to boost your metabolism.