Summertime brings on a “fun vacation” type feeling that involves many get togethers, trips, and the goal of achieving the ultimate relaxation. Sitting by the pool enjoying a fruity drink with an umbrella seems like a great idea, but don’t forget about the 500 plus calories, with the majority coming from dare I say it, sugar!
Summertime drinks that won’t bust your diet or your waistline.
- Crystal Light is a great low calorie fruity mixer, with flavors like strawberry lemonade, iced tea, and punch. Just add your choice of alcohol and enjoy. Remember the 1 ½ oz shot of liquor still provides a whooping 100 calories, so moderation is key!
- Spritzers are another great option. Just mix red, white, or rose wine with club soda and add a twist of lime. The smaller portion of wine will help keep your calories lower along with your weight.
- Be sure to have a glass of water on the side of any alcoholic beverage. This will allow you to enjoy sipping your alcoholic beverage while drinking the water for your thirst and hydration, a perfect balance.
- Light beers are about half the calories of regular beers, seems like a no-brainer! Your taste buds will adjust and your trimmer figure will thank you.
- Light orange juice is a great way to lower the calories in your mimosa. As far as the champagne, remember the drier the champagne, the higher the calories.
- Other great mixers include diet tonic water, diet soda, diet caffeine free sodas, and water.
Enjoying an alcoholic beverage can be a nice refreshing summertime treat, but be sure to drink responsibly, not only for your safety, but for your waistline too.
By Emily Barr, MS, RD, CNSC
Want More?? Check out these posts from Emily…