We are excited to announce that the Skinny Gene Project has been named one of the chosen charities for the…
2014 San Diego Half Marathon and 5K (SDHM & 5K).
One of the many reasons this is such a tremendous opportunity for us, is that 100% of the net proceeds from the race will be donated to the chosen charities. The fact that Skinny Gene Project is being recognized alongside esteemed organizations such as Make a Wish and National Foundation for Autism Research is a tremendous honor. But being selected as a chosen charity is just the beginning. Now we need your help putting Prevention on the Move.
Help Us Put Prevention on the Move
When you join our Skinny Gene Half Marathon or 5K team, become a virtual runner/supporter, and/or fundraise for Team Skinny Gene, you’re not only making the statement that prevention is important; you’re making prevention possible.
The proceeds from our team’s participation in the race, as well as donation from health-minded people like you, will allow us to increase our nationwide financial assistance program to serve those in need, and we will be able to put PREVENTION on the MOVE in City Heights (San Diego, CA).
City Heights is a dynamic and vibrant community in East San Diego that is known for its diversity, with 42% of the residents migrating from Latin America, Asia, and Africa. Unfortunately, this culturally rich area has one of the highest percentages of families living in poverty. Teen obesity rates are more than 50%, and the residents have very low access to health care. Right now, the future of City Heights is one in which 1 in 3 families will be affected by type 2 diabetes, yet before Skinny Gene, there wasn’t a diabetes prevention program to help this underserved and overlooked community.
Skinny Gene Project has already begun bringing hope to City Heights. We successfully launched a diabetes prevention program at the Copley YMCA, but we need your help to continue this program and teach more people in City Heights how to protect their families from type 2 diabetes.
We need your help to support team Skinny Gene in the San Diego Half Marathon & 5K, so we can put Prevention on the Move.
Support Our Team
There are several ways you can support the Skinny Gene Project. Please click on each of the red links below to learn more.
1. Register for the 2014 San Diego Half Marathon and join our team! Please type “Team Skinny Gene” when prompted.
2. Register for the 2014 San Diego 5K and join our team! Please type “Skinny Gene Project” when prompted.
3. Fundraise for Skinny Gene Project, and win prizes! You can click the option to fundraise for our organization when you register. Don’t worry; you don’t have to run to get in on the fun. You can be a virtual runner/supporter by clicking here to setup your own individual fundraising page.
4. Donate and support Team Skinny Gene’s efforts to put prevention on the move. You can make a 1 time donation or a monthly donation. Click here to donate online, or you can text any dollar amount to: firstname.lastname@example.org (click to see an example of how to”text to give“)
5. Sign up to receive our SD Half Marathon & 5K newsletters to get updates and information about the race and our campaign to put Prevention on the Move
Thank you for your support! Go TEAM SKINNY GENE!!!